8.9.10

Radio



I've always wondered what the radio stations in Singapore have been doing for the local scene here. But I don't usually listen to the radio - It just isn't my type, if you know what I mean? It's to limited, confined to only a low spectrum of music. I can't disagree that there are some tracks on the airwaves which are great stuff, only not everything is, and there's too little to choose from anyway.

I just went to 91.3FM party, which was commemorating DJ Adam's last days in the studio before he's getting his hair (or half of it) shaved off and his next two years sentenced to mandatory National Service. It's all good. Then I asked a question while the music was playing at the DJs were off air.

I asked what they were doing to help in the local scene. DJ Sam liked For This Cycle, a band which gained popularity through competitions such as the ones NoiseSingapore hold, but mainly because he's got a distant cousin who plays for them. As for the radio station itself, they've got a segment on their website which features local artists. And on the radio, they mention it out so that people could have a look at it. Or be suggested to. Or be mentioned. Forgotten.

It's very little on the radio station's part to be so minimal on their support for the local scene. Whereas radio stations elsewhere, like the States, would be very proud of their hometown heroes and rotate them heavily, local radio stations here seem almost embarrassed to be showcasing the music in Singapore.

I know bands like Ronin and the Great Spy Experiment, maybe even Allura have gotten play time on the radios here. Specifically, 987fm, part of Mediacorp. But that's not enough. Sure, you've got band interviews here and there live with the DJs, but that's it...

Maybe it's down to money constraints. People don't care about unheard nonsense like EZA or Parking Lot Pimp. They want tracks they already know, mostly international hits by the time it's reached their ears. And it won't sell to be playing local music. And there isn't any major record label constantly prodding you to play a famous artist's song more often on the radio.

We need more support. It's time to forget about money. I know it's hard. But for the nation's sake. Remember how we cheered in the Singapore Youth Olympic Games? Let's have the same enthusiasm for local music too!

One day I'll retire as a millionaire and start up my own frequency with money being no object. There won't be no bloody commercials, maybe fake ones, a la Grand Theft Auto. Stuff like "Got problems? Don't worry! Here's caller telling you the best solution possible to all the difficulties in life: 'I used to be scared of my children getting hurt. So I killed them. Now I'm not scared any longer!' " will be on it. And the radio station will play 50% local music.

Millionaire. Music. 50% local.

I can sure as hell dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment